Ministry of Taxation
Ministry of Tax-Eng
Center for Ministry of Taxation
Call Center Requirements:
- We would like to
organize one automatic call-center for the entire ministry.
- Do you want it to work for taxpayers outside the ministry only or
do you want to use this system for internal employees inside the
- I have a dumb question... Do most Russians have touch tone
telephones or do many still have rotary dial telephones? If many
people have rotary telephones, then you will have to make sure you get
a software system that uses voice recognition.
- The menu must be very
large and complex, but the contents must be easy to understand.
- Yes, I understand. This is the biggest challenge. Many
call center systems are not very user-friendly.
- The I.R.S. phone system is HUGE and confusing. You will have
to do much planning to make sure your system is easy to use. You
will need to put all the menu choices on a large map and test the
logic with many people.
- When I worked at Tektronix, we hired a consultant to help us
develop a user-friendly menu system. It was a very expensive
consultant who told us what logic a caller likes to hear when they
call this kind of system. I don't know if it was worth the
money, but it is something to consider.
- We don't want to have
any support agents. Russian legislation, legal concept & law practice
don't allow law support by phone.
- Yes, I understand. The United States is the same way.
- Since you won't have support agents, this will make the whole
project much smaller and easier.
- We are willing to let
taxpayer wait half of minute.
- Now that I know that you don't want to have support agents, you
will not need to have any wait time. The automatic system will
- If many Russians have rotary phones, then will you want them to
talk to a support agent? Let me explain. Call routing
systems rely on the "beep" of the touch tone phones to tell them which
menu to go to. When the U.S. first set up call routing systems,
some people still had rotary phones. The voice on the phone
would say, "With your touch tone phone, please select from the
following options. If you have a rotary phone, please hold and a
support agent will be with you shortly."
- We will be open 24x7.
- Since this is an automated system, it can be open all the time.
- The call center software should let you update menus without
- We want to give out
information convenient for automatic answering.
- You can have menu choices that give mailing addresses, web site
information, descriptions of forms... anything you want. You
will need to choose what you want to tell them.
- You will need to find somebody who has a good voice that is
willing to record all the information. It can take a long time
and require a big commitment from someone, especially the first time
you do it. I was the telephone voice for a company I worked for
several years ago, Mentor Graphics Corporation. It was time
consuming to keep the menu up to date! I am a friend of the man
who does the telephone voice for Intel and he has done most of the
work now and only has to update it once in a while. You can call
011-1-916-356-1234 to hear how Intel's system works. It is
actually a small menu system because Intel employees HATE big phone
menus. It is also used to contact support agents, so it is
different than what you want.
- For tax advice,
forms etc we will direct customers to our web-site at
We already have an FAQ on our site and want to
develop this resource further.
- This is one way to do it... I'll talk more about the fax system
- The fax information
system is of interest now.
- Yes, this is great. Do you have software that tells you how
many people go to those pages? If you have this, you can tell
which documents are helpful to people and which documents nobody
needs. This is very valuable information.
- See more information below.
- We really want to use
software, but we don't know what a call tracking software
system can do. For example, the Symposium from Nortel Networks is
a a call
tracking software system? What is the main function for a call
tracking software system?
- A call tracking software system can do all of the following:
- Design all your menus on the phone system that a customer will
hear when they call your Ministry of Taxation telephone number.
In the U.S., we call these phone numbers "information Lines" or
computer at your desk. Your desktop computer will connect to a
larger server computer that hosts the application.
- Records all the words you use for each menu selection.
- Allows you to move menus around that have already been recorded
to any part of your phone tree (menu system).
- Creates reports that tells you which menu choices are the most
- Some systems allow you to set up a fax system, often called "Fax
on Demand." For example, you can guide a customer to a list of
documents they might want faxed back to them. They can choose
the document number with their phone keys and then the system will
ask them to enter their fax number. Very shortly, the document
will be faxed to the customer. The IRS Fax on Demand system
can be heard at 011-1-703-368-9694.
- Helps you connect the phone system software to your telephone
- Route calls to support agents based on the topic or information
needed. (Probably won't apply to you)
- Call tracking systems can do MANY, MANY things. I looked at
Nortel Symposium and it looks very good. However, it is designed
primarily for connecting your phone system to support agents. I
will have to look at some smaller, simpler products to see if they can
fit your needs at a lower price.
- Most products are sold in "modules." This means that you can
buy only specific things you need. You will want to be careful
what you buy since these systems can be very expensive and may provide
you with more than you need.
- I will find out what system Intel uses to give you more ideas.
I have some more questions to ask you, so
please respond if you can.
- When do you want to complete this project?
- What is your budget?
- Will you use an Intel computer to run this software? (I hope
- Can someone from Intel Russia contact you? Since they speak
Russian, they could help translate.
There are so many more things to think
about, but I have to go to bed now. Please respond to me with more
comments or questions. Take care for now.